Tuesday, April 7, 2015

F is for Fortitude

Encouragement Cards - Fortitude
The Virtue of Fortitude

Children, students, soon to be graduates, and the rest of us on life's road, I have some questions for you. What is it that you would wish to pursue in your life? What are the strainings on your heart? What is your basic truth? When you put your mind to do something, do you have the fortitude to forge through? When you set out to do something are you moving through the motions or is your spirit engaged in the action? All of these questions pertain to one thing. What is your moral fiber? Is your spirit involved in your decision making or is much of your life just going through the motions? Come into understanding and use fortitude, a virtue given by God’s grace, and see it change your thinking and your way of life.

So what is fortitude? For·ti·tude: the moral virtue that ensures firmness of mental, emotional and physical strength in facing difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation and consistency in the pursuit of good. It strengthens your resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles. The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause.

Who do I know that has those qualities? I can't think of a better example than Jesus. He was the exemplary example of moral fortitude. He walked this earth with fortitude to save us from sin, to do the Father’s will.

Do I have these qualities? Can I achieve them? How can I even begin to live up to the standard of the way Jesus used fortitude? Well, the simple answer is no, I can't, not without the help of God. I need God to provide me with the physical and emotional strength, to be guided and enlightened by moral convictions and ethical principles that will give me the stamina to face life’s trails and persecutions in my pursuit of good. "In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

To ask for and be given fortitude would mean clarity in my decision making. Choosing to do the right thing or the right way to go about something in what ever I am pursuing. The strength from above to be firm, not wavering in facing difficulties, to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles.

Virtues are gifts from God that lead us to live in a close relationship with him. We need know what fortitude is. Teach this precious virtue to children so they too can use it to their success!

Encourage Someone Today!


Send me a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) 2804 8th St., Columbus, NE 68601, I will send you three Encouragement Cards. Day 6

1 comment:

  1. Your piece is very challenging. I don't think I ever though of Jesus as having fortitude but as you have explained it... yes indeed he did. The fortitude to continue on the path he knew was right despite the pain and discouragement he suffered, the rejection and misunderstanding. To the end. And there by making a new beginning for all of us

    ReplyDelete