Monday, April 27, 2015

W is for Well Mannered Teens!

W is for Well Mannered Teens!

"We are raising young ladies in the is house not pigs." I heard myself say to the teen age girls that were lounging about the living room. Oinking sounds followed by laughter is the response I got as I realized that my mother's words somehow came out of my mouth the other day... Have I turned into my mom? When did that happen? And what's worse, when did I become so prim, proper and preachy?

Well, I guess it all started with my mom teaching me to have manners. I heard a smart retort from one of the teen age girls. "My mom doesn't care if I do that at my house", "Well, I do care and this is my house. I want you to be respected when you go out in public." I replied. 

Using common sense, having manners and not using profanity are qualities found in well mannered individuals. It is sad to say, but yes, kids today need to be told what is expected of them. Using profanity is one of the things that even girls need to be reminded to NOT do. Walk down the hall in any given school and prove me wrong. Swearing not only is a curse, it makes you sound uneducated. I don't know about you, but I like to look smart, and I don't want to go around cursing people. Yes, cursing, that is what the Bible says about it. "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.” Romans 3:14.  To me, it's a no brainer. 

Lift people up with your words, that includes yourself. "The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." So parents don't be afraid to sound preachy or sound like your mom. Whether they show it or not...Your kids and their friends are listening, looking to you to set a good example and set them on the righteous path. 

Encourage Someone Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment